This is a highly in demand item these days and you will be lucky to find any on a chemist shelf. If you can find rubbing alcohol and aloe gel however, you are in luck; you can make your own hand sanitizer in two minutes. Easy peasy.
What you will need:
- 2/3 Cup Rubbing Alcohol
- 1/3 Cup Aloe Vera Gel (you can usually find this in the suntan lotion section but even better if you have an aloe plant handy)
- essential oils for fragrance, anti-viral and anti-bacterial qualities
- a squeeze bottle or jar to store the finished product
I have two large aloe vera plants at home. One two foot tentacle was about 1/3 of a cup. Cut the branch, and remove the skin. Add to a blender or food processor.
Add 2/3 cup of rubbing alcohol, and about 30 drops of essential oils. I was lucky to have “Immune” on hand which is a combination of
- eucalyptus (eucalyptus globulus)
- myrtle (myrtus communis)
- pine needle (pinus sylvestris)
- lemon (citrus limonum)
- tea tree (melaleuca alternifolia)
- myrrh (commiphora myrrha)
- thymus vulgaris
One of my favourite antibacterial blends. Not only does it smell amazing, but it is also working to destroy the germs on your hands and in the air.
Oh! And a special thank you to Aunty Viv in England for posting this recipe to begin with! Let’s all be responsible and kill this thing so we can get back to our lives!