- 2 cups button mushrooms cleaned and trimmed
- 1/2 head of cauliflower, washed and broken into pieces
- 1 med onion
- 1/2 cup white wine
- handful of tarragon (about 1/3 bunch)
For the Gravy:
- 2 cups veggie stock
- 2 fat cloves of garlic (or more if you wish)
- 1 tbsp miso
- 1/4 cup cashews soaked for at least two hours or boiled for 15 minutes
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- In a blender, add all the ingredients for the gravy and blitz like crazy until smooth. Set aside.
- Chop the onion in whatever fashion you like. In a skillet (or my favourite cast iron skillet), heat about 2 tbsp olive oil and sauté the onion for about 5 minutes until almost translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and cauliflower and continue sweat the ingredients in the pan under a lid until the mushrooms start to release their juices. Do not let the pan get dry or the onions will burn. You can add a bit of stock as needed until the mushrooms start to sweat it out.
- Once the mushrooms have started to release their juices, uncover the pan and continue to sauté until the mushrooms are browning and the cauliflower has some caramelized edges.
- Chop and add the tarragon to the mushroom/cauliflower.
- At this point the pan will start to become dry.
- Deglaze the pan with the white wine. This simply means chuck the wine in there and scrape down the sides of the pan so that nothing is sticking.
- Once the wine has almost evaporated, add the gravy to the pan. Turn up the heat until the gravy starts to boil and then reduce slightly to medium and let the liquid reduce until it’s a nice gravy consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve up with some mash, some plant based bangers or whatever you like!
- Get stuck in.